Cake? Cookie? Can’t decide? Don’t.
In my previous food life, I adored macarons more than just about anything. Making macarons is far more illusion and scientific than one might expect, however after two macaron making classes and many, many failed attempts, I did eventually manage to crack them (or rather, not crack them!). What I love about whoopie pies is that they have a similar ‘pretty factor’ as macarons, but are simple and fuss free to make.
Gluten, dairy, refined sugar free. Paleo.
1/2 cup almond meal
3 Tbs coconut flour
1/4 cup raw cacao
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp mineral salt
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup coconut cream
1 tsp vanilla (check ingredients to find a sugar free one)
Optional: sweetener such as honey. We used 1/2 tsp organic stevia.
Coconut cream, refrigerated for a few hours, to ice
Preheat oven to 145 degrees celcius
1. Process dry ingredients in a food processor for 30 seconds.
2. Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
3. Gently roll into balls and drop on to a baking tray lined with baking paper (or use a whoopie pie pan if you have one!). I smoothed the tops slightly with wet hands, but this is not essential.
4. Cook for about 15 minutes or until whoopies can easily be removed from the tray. To prevent cracking, place a second baking tray in the rack above while cooking.
5. Allow to cool and sandwhich together with chilled coconut cream.
x Aunty Bee