It is birthday season for us. Last week was Finn’s second birthday and there are five other immediate family members with birthdays in the next month, including my big 3-0! I am thrilled that the cake version of our Little Bare black bean brownies turned out to be a real hit at the family dinner we had on Finn’s birthday as the recipe will definitely come in handy (I have just made a second batch for his aunty’s special day today)!
Gluten, dairy, refined sugar free.
1 400gm can of black beans
5 free range eggs
1 Tbs vanilla extract
1/3 – 1/2 cup honey (or sweetener of your choice such as pure maple syrup or brown rice syrup for fructose free)
1/2 cup coconut oil, softened
1/3 cup almond meal
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup raw cacao powder
Preheat oven to 160 degrees and grease a cake pan with coconut oil (unless making cupcakes).
1. Drain and rinse the can of black beans, then blend in a blender with 3 of the eggs, salt and vanilla until very smooth.
2. Mix honey and coconut oil in an electric mixer for a few minutes. If the coconut oil is just at the ‘softened’ stage, it should go nice and creamy. If it is completely melted, it will not be as creamy but the recipe will still work.
3. Add the remaining eggs one at a time and mix until smooth.
4. Sieve raw cacao and baking powder over the honey mixture, then add almond meal. Pour in bean mixture and mix in the mixer for 30 seconds or so until smooth.
5. Pour into a greased cake pan or cupcake cases and bake for 40 – 45 minutes (35 minutes for cupcakes) or until cooked through when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool then ice with Lonnie’s chocolate ganache or whipped coconut cream – https://littlebare.net/2014/12/17/choc-nache-slice/
x Aunty Bee